FORT COLLINS – The National Academy of Arts and Sciences bestowed its Emmy Award from the Heartland Chapter of the National Television Academy on the Rocky Mountain Student Media at Colorado State University.
The award was given in the newly formed category of Advanced Media Student Production. The submission was a website called “Today’s Awareness, Tomorrow’s Challenges” that incorporates articles, video, interactive diagrams and radio stories about HIV and AIDS. It represents a collaborative effort from all branches of Student Media — The Rocky Mountain Collegian, KCSU, College Avenue and CTV.
The following students were involved in the project:
- Ryan Avery, producer and editor;
- Trevor Simonton, writer and Web designer;
- Nic Tapia, video editor and photographer;
- Lisa Streeb, photographer;
- Virginia Singarayar, logo designer;
- Ben Vacha, interactive graphics designer;
- Zach Newton, video photographer.
The site was honored “because of the impact it creates on the world,” according to a release from CSU. During the past 20 years, Student Media has collected at least 10 Emmys.