Columbine’s Care Managers advocate for individuals and families to successfully navigate the health care system. Being a caregiver for an older adult can be challenging. Knowing the ins and outs of the health care system is critical. Health care is not becoming less complex! In this time of COVID-19, having a partner to help navigate and advocate for your loved ones, is even more important.
A care manager has several different roles:
- Assessments for the appropriate level of care
- Researching and communicating with the appropriate resource(s) or facilities
- Communicating about medications, diagnoses, and Advanced Directives
- Coordinating documents, orders, or other necessary information
- Assisting with move in, including arranging for packing and movers
- Assessments to understand functional, medical, psychological, and psychosocial needs
- Anticipating changes and helping to plan accordingly
- Attending physician and specialist appointments, in person or virtually
- Coordinating communication between physicians and specialists and facility staff
Coordination and Care Management:
- Researching appropriate services with preferred providers for insurance
- Contacting potential providers for referrals and to initiate services
- Ensuring communication between service provider(s), client, and family
- Assist with basic financial services (bill paying, coordination for tax preparation)
- Assist with contacting insurance (coverage information, appeals process)
- Visit loved ones to ensure they are doing well or observe for any changes
The help of a care manager can be vital to the journey. The care managers’ job is really to facilitate communication and care for the needs of seniors. They are hands on, and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to rely upon. They are often the missing piece in the care puzzle.
You are not alone. Caregiving for an older adult is not always easy. There are resources for care and support. The earlier you start looking into those resources, the easier things will be. A care manager will be your best partner in the journey.