OXFORD, Ohio — Liquid Mechanics Brewing Co. of Lafayette led Boulder Valley and Northern Colorado craft brewers in awards won at the U.S. Open Beer Championships held in Oxford, Ohio, July 9.
Judges from England, Canada and the United States reviewed 6,300 beers in 110 styles to determine the best beers at the competition. Liquid Mechanics placed eighth overall. Grand National Champion honors went to Peticolas Brewing of Dallas; second place to Brink Brewing of Cincinnati; and third went to Black Tooth Brewing of Sheridan, Wyo.
Liquid Mechanics also placed first in the “Most Creative Name” competition for its Beasts of Bourbon label.
Beer style winners from the Boulder Valley and Northern Colorado were:
- English IPA — Crow Hop Brewery, Loveland, Bronze.
- Bitter — Mash Lab Brewing, Windsor, Bronze.
- English Mild Ale — Mash Lab Brewing, Windsor, Silver.
- Imperial Red Ale — Oskar Blues Brewing, Longmont, Gold.
- Imperial Red Ale — Bootstrap Brewing, Longmont, Bronze.
- Altbier — Liquid Mechanics, Lafayette, Gold.
- Belgian Tripel — New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Gold.
- Marzen/Oktoberfest — Liquid Mechanics, Lafayette, Silver.
- American Specialty Wheat — Crow Hop Brewing, Loveland, Gold.
- Wood/Barrel-aged Sour Beer — Loveland Aleworks, Loveland, Bronze.
- Blended Barrel-aged Beer — Liquid Mechanics, Lafayette, Gold.